Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Proprietor's Red

Are you a frugal wine shopper? Looking for something quaffable that’s also priced to fit your budget? Who isn’t, right? Do I have the wine for you, wine friends!

One of my wino friends is a rep for St Hilaire Cellars and he’s turned me onto their “Proprietor’s Red.” Winemaker, Joel Tefft, has crafted this red table wine that’s a blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, and Tempranillo grapes from Yakima Valley vineyards in Eastern Washington. I kid you not; this is one of the best valued wines and seriously great tasting wines that I’ve come across in a while.

Don’t believe me? Jay Miller, the Northwest nose for Robert Parker, and famous wine writer for Conde’ Cox, chose the top 100 Northwest wines for the September 2008 issue of Seattle Metropolitan magazine, with a special frugal shopping section. “Proprietor’s Red” made it to the top of the list of best valued wines in the Northwest. This delicious red table wine will delight you with the abundance of dark fruit, nice structure, and an enticing hint of spiciness; at around $7.00 a bottle (prices range from $6.99 - $7.99) won’t put a dent in your wallet. This wonderful bargain can be found at many QFCs, Top Foods (Shoreline and Edmonds), Ballinger Thriftway, Fred Meyer (Totem Lake), and at my favorite Seattle wine shop, Esquin Wine Merchants.

Get some “Proprietor’s Red” and serve it with pasta or red meat. Your wallet and your mouth will love you for it!

P.S. I just heard from my wino friend/St Hilaire Cellars rep that in the near future there will be a “Proprietor’s White.” This highly anticipated white blend will be 75% Chardonnay, 18% Pinot Gris, and 7% Riesling, and hopefully, just in time for picnic season.

The Stats:
What: Red blend
Producer: St Hilaire Cellars
Vintage: Unknown
Varietals: 60% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Tempranillo, 5% Syrah
Alcohol by volume: 13%
Location: Yakima Valley, WA
Cost: Ranging from $6.99 - $7.99
Where to Purchase: Various QFCs, Top Foods (Shoreline and Edmonds), Ballinger Thriftway, Fred Meyer (Totem Lake), and at my favorite Seattle wine shop, Esquin Wine Merchants.

2 comments:

  1. Jude sounds like a great find at a price that yours truly can afford! I love great wines at low prices, although I love wine at any price, I am under the opinion that superb wines can be found and enjoyed for less than $13.99 a bottle and at $6.99 this one is worth the hunt! Thanks for the tip!
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana,

    Thank you for your comment and for reading. This one is definitely worth the hunt! I agree with you that great wine can be found for a great price. Anything under $15.00, that's also memorable, is a great value, in my opinion. You're very welcome for the tip! Happy hunting!

    Wine Muse

    ReplyDelete