Thursday, December 24, 2009

Champagne Under 40 Scheckles


I was reading the New York Times this morning to see which celebrity had overdosed, er, I mean died of natural causes last night while I was in tucked in my warm bed and dreaming of the perfect bottle of wine. Weird. No celebrities expired overnight. At least, none that I could find on the Interwebs. Anywho. While I was reading the Times, I came across this article http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/23/dining/reviews/23wine.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hpw about really good Champagne under 40 scheckles.

Well, I say, it's about FRACKING time! Now that the economy is in the poop house, everyone can afford to buy good Champagne, right?! I mean, now that Champagne is inexpensive, relatively speaking, everyone will forego food and heat to run out and buy a case, perhaps two cases, of bubbles from Champagne. And who needs to fill their tanks with gasoline? That just increases "Global Warming!" Tempted to spend your paycheck (hopefully you have one) on Christmas presents for your family? Silly, silly people. Who needs food, gas, or luxuries such as heated homes when Champagne is so damned inexpensive, relatively speaking?

Okay, so perhaps the less expensive good Champagne won't fit everyone's budget. That's why I go to free Champagne tastings when I find them (see previous post). And that's why I share these things with my fellow winos. Let's consider this blog my Christmas present to all of you.

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday, whatever you decide to drink and share with your family and friends. Merry Christmas, everyone!!

4 comments:

  1. I will add you as a link, I am doing Wine-down Wednesday's and am doing my bubbly post next Tuesday!

    Love this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Chef E,

    That's great! Glad this is timely for you.

    Merry Bubbles-mas!

    Wine Muse

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent Christmas Eve with a family where one of the family members had ice in their chardonnay, oh my. Paul and Wine Muse would agree on this one also! The red drinkers drank from a box wine that I bought at 12th and Olive Wine Shop. The shop is owned by Steven who has taught at the wine program at South Seattle. He is a rare wine shop owner that really know his stuff. Check him out at www.12thandolive.com. They are on capitol hill and have tasting all the time, even on Christmas Day! He tasting are always good. Steven is unique that he has a large selection of less expensive wines. The box wine that I bought was CÉDRE HERITAGE from France, 100% Malbec. It was only $21 for 3 litres and thus $5.25 per bottle. Wine Muse did a series on box wines. She must be in the bucks now because she has not written about them for a while. I am certain this is a better wine that the $1.97 wines that I saw at Walmart! Steven's web is understated. Get on his e-mail list. Everyone have a vintriffic Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gary (come on, man, Blackie doesn't have opposable thumbs so I know this wasn't from her),

    Thanks for the box wine tip. My brief love affair with box wines are over, I'm afraid. Sometimes it sucks being a wine snob/nerd. I have a hard time drinking less than delicious wine.

    I agree that Stephen knows his stuff. He's the man when it comes to wine history. He carries a really nice selection of wines in his shop. I discovered the Basel Cellars Claret in his shop about a year ago.

    Thanks again for coming over for dinner and sharing two most delicious bottles of wine. I just gushed about the Animale Zin. :-)

    Happy trails, my friend! Drive safe and enjoy your southwestern winter.

    Wine Muse

    ReplyDelete