Tuesday, January 20, 2009

By order of the President of the United States

The excitement has been building since November 4th - the day Barack Obama was elected the President of the You-Knighted States of America. The Messiah. “That One” as John McCain so ineloquently stated it on the telly during one of the Presidential debates.

Today was the day. It was finally time to knight the new and improved King of the US of A. Things will be different from now on, so sayeth our new Prez. And I had just one really big question on my mind. What to drink tonight to celebrate the historical occasion? Should I spend my hard earned Evil Empire bucks on expensive Champagne? No. Champagne isn’t really my thing. There are so many other delicious and inexpensive bottles of bubbles that can be had. Spanish Cavas are wonderful and quite a steal at about $7 or $8 a bottle. Then there are the Italian Proseccos that are screaming deals priced around $11 - $13 a bottle.

But our new Prez told us in his inauguration speech that we need to think about things differently now. We need to set aside our childish ways and step up. Be more responsible. I tried to read between the lines. Was this a secret code for stop spending money on needless electronic gadgets that I can’t afford? Was he trying to say that I should cook at home more often to save money? Should I cancel my gym membership and climb the stairs in my building to be more fiscally conservative?

I could do all those things and more! I’ll drink an inexpensive bottle of Malbec from Argentina to celebrate. Brilliant! Killing two birds with one stone feels great! So what if it wasn’t the deep red of a more full-bodied Washington Malbec, like the delicious and gorgeous version that William Church Winery is currently making? Who’s to know but me if it was more like the color of a medium-bodied red wine? And who cares if it tastes like fruit that I might’ve passed by in the marked down bin at the local grocer? I asked myself a serious question on this unusual and historic day, “Do I always need to say “WOW” when I drink a red wine?” Okay. That’s an unfair question for a self-proclaimed wino. The answer to that question would be yes!

But no. The real answer is - I can’t always afford to drink the good stuff. Sometimes it’s okay to drink a so-so bottle of Malbec from Argentina. Heck! It was $8! And it wasn’t that bad. It tasted like grapes. And it was a shade of red. I even caught a slight buzz from it.

Just following our new President’s suggestion. I feel more like a good American already.

The Stats:

What: Red wine – Arido Malbec
Producer: Bodega
Vintage: 2006
Varietal: Malbec
Alcohol by volume: 13.5%
Location: Mendoza, Argentina
Location purchased: Esquin Wine Merchants, Seattle, WA
Cost: $8.00

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a member of the Malbec Maniac Marathon club, this varietal is one of my favourites. The Argentinians took Malbecs to new heights. I personally really, really like the William Church Malbec, but at $32 is it really 4 times as good as one from Argentina? Of course not. However, if you belong to the wine industry, drinking wine is a duty that one has every night so how many of us can afford $30+ bottles of wine? Your Museship, keep up the good work and remember, practice makes perfect. Gary, one of your devoted followers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Devoted Follower:

    To your point - is the William Church Malbec 4 times as good as the $8 Argentinian Malbec? I can't answer that question as I'm a wine writer, not a mathematican. I'll leave the mathematical doodling to you and other like-minded folks. Thanks for your comment.

    The Wine Muse

    ReplyDelete
  4. America thanks you for doing your part!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today I helped bottle for William Church. After we worked (volunteered), the volunteers participated in a blind tasting of 6 WA Malbecs. I picked the William Church as my favourite. They also had 6 Argentinian Malbecs and several were around $20. I found the ones from Argentina thinner and less complex than the WA ones, especially the WC. This again proves to me that WA is one of the top wine areas in the world.

    ReplyDelete