Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Phantom

Just like the name suggests, a bottle of Phantom, when opened, is mysterious and hauntingly seductive. This incredible wine is a blend of Petite Sirah, Old Vine Zinfandel, and Old Vine Mourvedre, which is not only an unusual blend, but at 14.5 percent alcohol, it’s also a spirit to be reckoned with. The grapes are grown in the Bogle vineyards, Clarksburg, California, in the fertile Delta River region nestled along the Sacramento River. The Bogle family, according to their web site, has been farming that area since the mid-1800s. Planting grapes didn’t come until 1968, when they planted their first 20 acres, but currently at 1200 acres of vineyards, KA-POW! This family has arrived!

Bogle is an odd name, isn’t it? What does it mean? It’s Scottish in origin and means friendly spirit. Get it? Phantom? Bogle Vineyards? I know. They’re very clever.

What about the taste? I’m so glad you asked. This wine is nothing short of amazing. After you’ve opened a bottle of Phantom, poured some of this intoxicating juice into your glass, and if you’re a Petite Sirah / Old Vine Zinfandel fan like me, you’re going to gasp with surprise, then smile with delight. You’ll see a gorgeous, deep purple apparition staring back at you as you gaze down into your glass. You’ll taste dark fruit, anise, and black pepper. I’ve been drinking this wine tonight with lamb chops, Toscana bread, and steamed broccoli and it’s a perfect match. Next up, a chocolate éclair for dessert. Oh yes, I know how to live.

Check out this Phantom at your local Whole Foods, or neighborhood wine shop. For $20.00, you can’t go wrong with this friendly spirit.

The Stats:
What: Proprietary red blend
Producer: The Bogle family
Vintage: 2005
Varietals: Petite Sirah, Old Vine Zinfandel, Old Vine Mourvedre
Alcohol by volume: 14.5%
Location: Bogle Vineyards, Clarksburg, CA
Cost: $19.99
Purchased: Whole Foods on 65th/Roosevelt, Seattle, WA

1 comment:

  1. How timely, I am just drinking a bottle as I speak (type...oops, keyboard so as not to date me). This wine has a long finish. I have also seen at Fred Meyers. Excellent wine.

    ReplyDelete