Thursday, August 20, 2009

Darby Winery - Aunt Lee Syrah

Remember my previous post from February 15 called "The Dark Side?" Sure you do! You don't? Here's your homework. Go back and read it. It's awesome. You can find it here http://thewinemuseinseattle.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html.

I gushed about how delicious Darby Wineries' 2006 Syrah called "The Dark Side" was and I have to say that Darby English has done it again. This time he's scored with his 2007 "Aunt Lee" Syrah. Named after a favorite aunt, this Syrah is big and bold and takes me places where I never dreamed of going before. Heaven on earth. Think I'm kidding? I'm NOT fracking kidding. How does a person derive so much pleasure from drinking a glass of wine? It's easy when you have the perfect glass of Syrah in your hand and you have nothing else to do except contemplate how damn good it tastes and smells and how does Darby do this, not once, but twice? What's his secret? Is it just a knack for knowing how to make the perfect Syrah? Is it intuition? Does he use both sides of his brain? Does he read a lot? Is he gorgeous AND talented and a nice guy? The answer to all of the above is a resounding YES! How can that be? Who really cares? Well, perhaps his gorgeous wife cares. But I'm done asking questions that really don't matter at the end of the day.

The bottom line is, Darby's "Aunt Lee" Syrah is wonderful. It smells like bacon fat and dark fruit, like chocolate covered cherries, only a bit meaty. It tastes even better. It's mouth-watering and grabs your attention as if to say, "Yo, bitch! I'm talking to you. That's right. I'm talking to you. Don't look at me like I have three heads. Listen up! Am I the best thing you've ever smelled and tasted on this fracked up miserable planet, or what? Do you taste the big, dark fruit in me? Do you taste how complex I am? How about those under currents of tobacco? You like chocolate? Who doesn't like chocolate? Dumb people don't like chocolate, that's who! You like chocolate and cherries? Who doesn't like that combo? People with no taste buds, that's who! That's right. Sip me. Smell me. Savor me. I'm the best damned thing you're ever going to have the pleasure of drinking. And I'm practically in your backyard. You had no idea? How come you so stupid, stupid? I'm just 20 minutes from Seattle. Woodinville. That's right you dumbass. I'm in Woodinville. In the Warehouse District. Come and get me. I dare you."

Wow. Darby's "Aunt Lee" Syrah really has kind of an attitude, huh? This wine has every right to have an attitude. From the moment you pour this very dark purple juice into your glass, inhale the special aromas of the wine, until you taste, drink, enjoy, savor, and beg for more, you'll wonder why and how you've never experienced anything like this incredible Washington wine. This time Darby made his Syrah from grapes that hail from Columbia Valley, the largest of all the AVAs in Washington state. Well done, Darby, well done.

Here's some more homework for you wine fans - go get a bottle (or two) of Darby Wineries' "Aunt Lee" Syrah. You'll thank me...and more importantly, you'll thank yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment