I was emailing back and forth with my friend who I call PC and as usual, we were discussing wine, wine events, wineries, and then I mentioned to him that I’m prepping myself for being “wine poor” soon because I’m in the process of buying a townhouse and will not have as much foldin’ money to spend on wine. I then admitted that I’m drinking “box wine” because it’s much less expensive than, oh say, Sparkman Cellars’ “Darkness.” I’m here to tell you that “Darkness” is one of the most delicious Syrahs (incredible bouquet as well) that I’ve ever had the pleasure of tasting, but at $50 a bottle, this just isn’t a possible purchase for those of us on a budget. PC’s response was, “The Wine Goddess…buying box wine? Don’t let that get out.”But I say that being a Wine Goddess / Wine Muse is all about enjoying wine no matter if it comes in a box, glass bottle, plastic bottle (they’re actually selling wine in plastic bottles that look just like the glass variety), aluminum can, from a spigot (lots of places in Europe have wine available this way. Bring your own container and fill ‘er up!), wine barrel, punchbowl, or from the toilet bowl (jailhouse wine). Okay, perhaps that last one is a bit of a turnoff. But I bet the alcohol will kill any germs that might be lurking in the um…container. You winos get my point don’t you?
So why not let it get out that I’ve discovered really inexpensive, decent wine? Why are you reading this blog in the first place? (Okay, besides the fact that you might be unemployed with lots of time on your hands.) And, more importantly, why am I writing this blog? Education, of course! My education, as well as yours. Let’s all learn together, hold hands, sing Kumbaya, hug, drink way too much, hug some more, then pass out. Ahem.
Anywho…box wine. It’s not just for cheap people anymore! I thought I’d give the 2007 California Cabernet Sauvignon that “Black Box” brand makes a whirl, or more appropriately, a swirl, and it’s really not bad. It actually won 10 gold medals, and Wine Enthusiast deemed it a “Best Buys” of 2004, or at least that’s what it says on the box. I’m just sayin’. One box of the “Black Box” Cab equals 4 bottles of 750 ml bottles (or 3 liters) of wine and the cost is around $6.25/per liter (still under $20 for what equals to 4 bottles of wine). What, what, what??!! Did you say $6.25/per liter? Yes…I…did. Oh, and one HUGE advantage about drinking box wine is the fact that you'll never have to worry that your wine will be corked when you open it. You say you want more advantages? How about the fact that box wine costs less to ship and it's easier to store? Your wine will stay fresh for up to 4 months after opening if you keep it in the fridge!! BAM! Take that you expensive glass bottles with corks in them!!
I bought a box of 2007 Pinot Noir imported by Turning Leaf last night. The wine was made in Italy and I’m a fan of Italian wines. So, I’m looking forward to tasting this Box O’ Wine. The Turning Leaf Pinot will run you about the same price as “Black Box.” I’ll let you know if it’s medal-worthy after I’ve tried it.
The only problem I’ve seen so far with boxed wine is the lack of variety. Lots of Chardonnay and Merlot, a few Cabs and Pinots now and again. This is in the GOOD box wine section of the grocery store. I even saw a Shiraz the last time I looked in the “good” box wine section. I’m not talking about the “Franzia” blush wine section. Hey! Even a “poor” Wine Muse has her limits.
What are all of you winos waiting for? Drink more box wine and then perhaps the value box wine makers will expand their repertoire! It could happen. I’m just sayin…

Great post and great pic. Box wine does have advantages such as $4.69/750 bottle and a long shelf life when opened. We all look for good every day wine or I like to say spagetti wine. Wine is all about what you enjoy though a black box is hard to bring into the restaurant for corkage.
ReplyDeleteHave a vintriffic day,
Gary
G-dog,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment. I think perhaps if you offered the waitperson a couple of liters of wine from the black box, everything would be cool. Or, you could simply take the plastic bag out of the box and claim you need to be hooked up to an IV with your "medicine." It could happen.
Wine Muse