Brrrrrr! The Pacific Northwest (well, Seattle for sure!) is experiencing a cold snap and everything is frosty, icy, to cut to the chase - it's fracking cold!! But the cold didn't discourage the multitudes of people that came out to experience the first annual Vintage Bothell Wine Walk on Main Street last night.What a fabulous idea! There were five businesses in downtown Bothell that were each pouring two wines from five different Washington wineries. This was a fundraiser sponsored by the Bothell Arts Council and since I was there pouring wine, I can say that people enthusiastically embraced this event. The event only cost $5 and folks received 10 tasting tickets and a free glass (most included a Huskies wine charm). One ticket was worth a ounce pour.
I poured wine for Red Sky Winery at an art gallery/framing shop. The event was supposed to start at 5:00pm but there were folks lined up waiting for their first tastes at 4:30. By the time this event started, we had lots of thirsty people waiting for either a 2007 Semillon, or a 2006 Merlot.
The other wineries that were there pouring wines were:
Covington Cellars
Northwest Cellars
Barrage Cellars
Des Voignes Cellars
Besides wine, there was a Christmas tree lighting, and folks dressed in vintage clothing singing Christmas carols on the street as well. I guess the organizers of this event had no idea how well this wine walk would be received because by 5:30 or 6:00, all of the tickets to the event had been sold and there was an apparent glass shortage as well. People that couldn't buy tickets (no tickee - no winee) were unhappy, to put it mildly. The event was over at 8:00 and I received a bottle of the Red Sky Merlot for my time. I tucked my bottle of wine under my arm, and headed home in the cold to enjoy the fruit (juice) of my labor.
Well done, Bothell Arts Council. I have a feeling next year there could be even more wineries and more tickets.

No comments:
Post a Comment