Can I just say right now? OMFWG*! This box wine is the shit! No, I don't mean it's shit, as in "it tastes like shit." I mean it's THE shit, as in "it's really, really good!" I'm not even kidding!So what a revelation I've had about box wine. I had no idea it's gotten so damned good. Oh, I wasn't a box wine virgin until recently. I've had box wine in the past. And it wasn't shit, as in "it tastes like shit." It was....okay. As in, I don't really want anyone to know I'm drinking this pink wine in a box, but I'll drink it, I guess, as long as no one knows I'm drinking it. It was kind of like drinking soda but without the carbonation.
And speaking of drinking wine that's very much like soda - when I lived in Phoenix (yes, I lived in Phoenix, for 2 years, and I lived to tell about it), I stumbled upon a pink wine from a winery called Kokopelli Winery that was actually in Arizona. I know! A winery in the desert! How crazy is that? I didn't actually go to the winery. I tasted their white Bordeaux or white Merlot or something white, but was actually pink, at a festival in Glendale, AZ. I was still in my Chardonnay and occasional Merlot phase at that point. So I was still in my early years of wine drinking and I fell in love (actually, I think you could call it lust) for a while with this pink wine that tasted very much like soda from an Arizona winery. I would buy several bottles at a time at Cost Plus World Market in Phoenix. I was convinced this was the nectar of the Gods. Perhaps it was at the time. All I know is I was hooked and happy to be so. I think that's about the same time I had my first wine-in-the-box experience as well. Hey! Ya gotta start somewhere. Shut up!
Back to my latest discovery. I've discovered an actual amazing box wine. It's called Bota Box and it's a California Shiraz. I know. It's an oxymoron. Only the Aussie's call Syrah, Shiraz. The rest of the world calls it Syrah. But you know those Californians, always thinking outside the box. Or in this case, inside the box. They've also taken the liberty of calling sparkling wine "California Champagne" and we all know that's a crock of shit. Champagne can only be real Champagne if it's made in the Champagne region in France. But you know, whatever you can get away with, I guess.
Right. Bota Box Shiraz. This wine is amazingly full of flavors. I immediately got blueberry and spice from the juice and it's really very smooth and balanced. It's not "hot" like some of the Australian Shiraz's can be. Alcohol content is 13.5% which is plenty, if you ask me. And Holy Toledo Batman, ya gotta love that spigot on the plastic bag on the inside of the box. How fracking convenient is that? And again, no fear of cork spoilage. Also, if you only drink wine occasionally, and you wouldn't be a true wino if that's the case, a box of this wine lasts for weeks.
The price is the best thing about this whole "wine-in-a-box" thing. The Bota Box holds 3 liters which equals 4 - 750ml bottles of wine. All of this for only $17.00.
Brilliant.
*OMFWG = Oh My F-ing Wine God!

No comments:
Post a Comment