
I went to an amazing free wine tasting event a couple of weeks ago at Wine World in Seattle. There were nine different wineries pouring several of their wines, plus there was a local importer called Small Vineyards pouring several offerings from their Iberian line, which consists of several Spanish wines. I've tasted several of the Italian wines that Small Vineyards imports and they've all been really delicious, so I was excited to see them pouring Spanish wines. I tasted two that really knocked my socks off and when I heard the low prices of these, I grabbed several bottles of each.
The first wine that I tasted that I want to share with you is the 2009 Aravo Albarino. Albarino is a white grape from the Rias Baixas region in north west Spain. This white wine is dry, crisp, very aromatic, is a gorgeous golden color, and tastes like a crisp pear on a hot summer day. I'll be going back to Wine World for more of this freshening Spanish white!
The second wine that I love and want to share with you is the 2008 Finca El Tesso Tempranillo. Tempranillo is a red grape from the Ribera del Guadiana zone in the Extremadura region in western Spain. This red wine is dry, medium bodied, is a beautiful opaque purple color, has lovely berry flavors, and has a bit of the earthiness that I find very appealing in Spanish wines. It would be perfect with Spanish food, but I had a steak last night and it was a pretty nice match. The Angel Paiva family has been making wine on this estate for five generations!! I love discovering wines that are handcrafted by families that make wine because it's in their blood. This is obviously one of those wines because it's a steal at $10.00.
And if you're wondering why I put a picture of Sean Connery next to the glass of white wine, I have no idea why except that when I tried to find an image of Spanish wines, for some odd reason, Sean Connery's picture showed up among all of the images of wines and grapes. Who could resist?
Details about the wines
Dry Spanish White - I believe this was under $15.00
2009 Aravo Albarino from the Rias Baixas region and bottled by Beira Aral, S.L. - Arbo, Spain
Dry Spanish Red - $10.00
2008 Finca El Tesso Tempranillo from the Ribera del Guadiana zone in the Extremadura region in western Spain and bottled by Bodega Martinez Paiva.
Where to buy
400 NE 45th St. Seattle, WA
http://wineworldwarehouse.com/

No comments:
Post a Comment